Public buses have operated in Widnes since the formation of the Widnes corporation bus service in 1909. The corporation statred with four Commer covered top double deck buses from Luton's Commercial Cars Ltd. These were the first covered top double deck buses in England. They had to be covered top due to the corrosive atmosphere and acid rain in Widnes associated with the chemical factories at the time. Windes Corporation existed until 1974 and in its sixty five year life purchased over 100 buses.
Click on a bus to visit local tranport historian Paul Holmes website for a comprehensive history and photographic archive of Widnes Buses.